• Fitting the Cane to the Proper Height
• Fitting the Walker to the Proper Height
Fitting the Cane to the Proper Height:
- To select the proper length for a cane, stand up straight with your shoes on and arms at your sides. The top of the cane should reach the crease on the underside of your wrist. (see photo # 1)
- If the cane is a proper fit, your elbow will be slightly bent when you hold the cane while standing. (see photo #2)
- Choose an adjustable cane if you plan to wear different styles of shoes.
- Make sure you have a good grip of the cane and that the fingers and thumb do not overlap.
- Make sure that the tip of the cane is in good condition and that it is replaceable.
- Hold the cane with the opposite hand of the side that needs extra support.
Fitting the Walker to the Proper Height:
- Before adjusting height of walker, wear properly fitted shoes.
- While your family member is safely standing, (arms at his or her side) adjust the walker height to be even with the crease of their wrist. ( see photo # 3 )
Make sure all 4 legs are adjusted to the same height so the walker is stable.
- If the walker is a proper fit, the elbow will be slightly bent while holding the grip in standing. (see photo # 4 )
Back to top