Fitting a Cane to the Proper Height:
- To select the proper length for a cane, stand up straight with your shoes on and arms at your sides. The top of the cane should reach the crease on the underside of your wrist. (See photo # 1)
- If the cane is a proper fit, your elbow will be slightly bent when you hold the cane while standing. (See photo #2)
- Choose an adjustable cane if you plan to wear shoes with different heel heights.
- Make sure you have a good grip on the cane and that the fingers and thumb do not overlap.
- Make sure that the tip of the cane is in good condition and that it is replaceable.
- Hold the cane with the opposite hand of the side that needs extra support.
Fitting a Walker to the Proper Height:
- Before adjusting height of a walker, the person who will use the walker must wear properly fitted shoes.
While your family member is safely standing (arms at his or her side), adjust the walker height to be even with the crease of his or her wrist. (See photo #3)
Make sure all 4 legs are adjusted to the same height so the walker is stable.
- If the walker is a proper fit, the elbow will be slightly bent while holding the grip while standing. (See photo #4)