Automated Teller Machine (ATM)
An ATM is located next to the entrance of the Kuakini Physicians Tower.
A chapel is located on the first floor of the Hale Pulama Mau building and is available 24 hours a day for use by residents, patients, their families and friends. Religious services for Christian, Buddhist and other denominations can be accommodated. Reservations for chapel use should be made through your nurse. If you would like to attend a regularly held chapel service, call 808-547-9534 or dial in-house extension 8534 for more information.
A Hospital Chaplain is available to provide or arrange for spiritual support to patients and their families. The Chaplain serves as the Medical Center liaison for private clergy and is available for patient and family counseling. Patients, residents, family members, and visitors may ask a nurse to contact the Chaplain, or call the Chaplain’s office at 808-547-9327 or dial in-house extension 8327. The Care Management/Medical Social Work staff at 808-547-9189 or in-house extension 8189 can also contact the Chaplain.
Food & Drinks
• Vending machines that offer sandwiches, frozen treats, chips, candies, snacks and hot and cold drinks are located on the Ground Floor of Kuakini Medical Center, near the Gift Shop
• A Kuakini Snack Shop, located on the First Floor in the Kuakini Medical Plaza, is open weekdays between 7:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. The Snack Shop sells hot soups, pastries, musubis, drinks and snacks.
• Visitors may use the Dining Room located on the First Floor of the Hale Pulama Mau building. The Dining Room is open from 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., Mondays through Fridays and from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends and holidays.
The Kuakini Gift Shop is located on the ground floor of the Kuakini Medical Center (Hale Kuakini). Items for sale include toiletries, chips, snacks, magazines, books, jewelry, games, toys, stationery items, small gifts, seasonal holiday items and a variety of housewares. The Gift Shop also sells plants and flowers. Gift Shop hours are from 9:30 a.m. to 3:45 p.m., Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturdays. The Gift Shop is closed on Sundays. The Kuakini Gift Shop is operated by the Kuakini Auxiliary. All proceeds benefit Kuakini Foundation.
Information Desks are located in the ground floor and First Floor lobbies of Kuakini Medical Center and in the First Floor lobby in the Hale Pulama Mau building. Kuakini Volunteers staff the Information Desks and provide visitors and guests with the location of a patient or directions to a department.
Visiting Hours and Information
Kuakini understands the importance of support for patients from their family members and friends. For the safety, comfort and privacy of Kuakini’s patients and residents, please observe these visitor guidelines:
• Please do not visit patients and residents if you are not feeling well. Anyone with flu-like symptoms such as a cough, runny nose, sneezing, sore throat, body aches or a fever should not visit anyone.
• Children may visit, however they should be supervised at all times. Children under the age of 13 may not wait in waiting areas without a parent or guardian in attendance. Children will not be allowed to remain on patient floors if they are disruptive.
• Visitors may be asked to leave a room when treatments are being done for patients.
• Patients in Kuakini Medical Center should not be disturbed during designated “Quiet Times” between 2 p.m. and 3 p.m. and 2 a.m. and 3 a.m., which are enforced to help patients recover faster in a restful and quiet healing environment.
Kuakini Medical Center Visiting Hours:
• Medical/Surgical Nursing Units (Hale Kuakini – Third, Fourth and Fifth Floors) – 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
• Progressive Care Unit (Hale Kuakini, Third Floor) – 11 a.m. – 8 p.m.
• Private Room Patients – 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
• Critical Care Units – Flowers are not allowed in Critical Care Patient Rooms in order to ensure comfort to all patients and to lessen exposure to bacteria. Visiting hours are flexible, however, please call the nursing station before you visit.
Intensive Care Unit (ICU) - Hale Kuakini, Second Floor, 808-547-9245
Cardiac Care Unit (CCU) – Hale Kuakini, Third Floor, 808-547-9248
Hale Pulama Mau Building Visiting Hours:
Suggested visiting hours for Kuakini Home and the Intermediate and Skilled Nursing Facilities is from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Children of all ages are welcome to visit and must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
There are two public parking buildings on the Kuakini campus.
• Main Parking Building – the main parking building is located behind the Kuakini Medical Plaza (KMP). There are 8 levels of parking for physicians, visitors and patients. There is also an electric car charging station located at the first stall on your left as you enter the First Floor of the main parking building from the main service road.
• Kuakini Physicians Tower (KPT) – the entrance to and exit from the KPT parking lot is located next to the entrance of the building.
Partial parking validation is provided by physician’s offices within the KMP and KPT.
Parking rates vary for those visiting patients and residents. Monthly parking card applications may be obtained from the Care Management/Medical Social Work Department. Monthly parking fees are not prorated.
Parking Stickers are available from the Admissions Department. The stickers entitle the driver to a flat parking rate when exiting a Parking Building.
Phone Calls to Patient and Residents
Kuakini Medical Center:
• Patients in the Medical Center may receive phone calls from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
• Patients in private rooms may receive phone calls anytime.
• No calls will be connected to ICU and CCU patient rooms. If requested, callers will be connected to a nurse in the nurses station.
Hale Pulama Mau Building:
• Phones are not installed in individual rooms. A phone is located in the hallway and a cordless phone is available for the resident’s use on each floor.
Public phones are located on the Ground Floor of Kuakini Medical Center, near the newspaper stand and vending machines, and near the front main entrance on the First Floor of the Medical Center.
In the Hale Pulama Mau Building, public phones are located next to the set of double elevators in the First Floor Lobby.
Mail Box & Stamps
• A U.S. Mail Box is located on Kuakini Street, in front of the Kuakini Physicians Tower.
• Stamps may be purchased at the Kuakini Snack Shop, located on the First Floor of the Kuakini Medical Plaza at 321 North Kuakini Street.
Newspaper stands are located on the Ground Floor of Kuakini Medical Center, across from the vending machines near the Gift Shop. Newspaper stands are also available in the covered walkway (next to the Security kiosk) between the Kuakini Medical Center and Hale Pulama Mau building.
Kuakini Plaza Pharmacy – 321 N. Kuakini Street, First Floor, Kuakini Medical Plaza
Patients who are discharged from Kuakini Medical Center, as well anyone who needs to fill a prescription, can get their medications at the Kuakini Plaza Pharmacy, located in the first floor of the Kuakini Medical Plaza (adjacent to the main parking building.) Kuakini Plaza Pharmacy is open:
Mondays, 7:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Tuesdays- Fridays, 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Saturdays, 8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Closed on Sundays and holidays
Lost and Found
Kuakini’s Patient Relations Representative handles items that are lost or found on the Kuakini Health System campus. Items that are unclaimed after 30 days are disposed of according to Kuakini’s policy. Contact the Patient Relations Representative at 547-9791 or dial ext. 8791 if you are using an in-house phone.
Notary public services are available by appointment at Kuakini should you need legal documents notarized during your hospitalization. Contact the Patient Relations Representative at 808-547-9791 or extension 8791 or the Medical Social Work Department at 808-547-9189 or extension 8189 for information about notaries and to schedule an appointment.
Kuakini provides round-the-clock Security Services. Licensed Security Officers can provide escorts to and from any building on the Kuakini Health System campus. Between 8:30 p.m. and 5 a.m. each day, all buildings on campus are in Lockdown mode for safety and security purposes. Please check in at the Security Kiosk, located in the walkway between the Hale Pulama Mau and Kuakini Medical Center buildings, for assistance and to enter those two buildings during Lockdown hours.
Kuakini is committed to providing a smoke-free facility for the safety, comfort and health of everyone. Smoking, including electronic cigarettes, and chewing tobacco is not permitted anywhere on the Kuakini Health System campus.
Temporary Housing Available Near Kuakini
Kuakini Health System offers temporary housing accommodations near the Kuakini campus on a limited, space available basis. These apartments are intended for neighbor-island and out-of-state patients and/or their immediate caregiver who are receiving acute inpatient or outpatient medical services and treatment at Kuakini. Accommodations are limited. Please call the Admissions Department at (808) 547-9789 for reservations or for more information.
Free wireless Internet service is available in most areas within the Kuakini Medical Center and Hale Pulama Mau buildings. Please note that some areas have signs prohibiting the use of cell phones and laptop devices, which could interfere with medical equipment being used in specific areas. The best places for WiFi access are waiting areas and lobbies.
To connect to the “Kuakini Guest” wireless network:
- Enable your wireless card
- Open your Internet browser
- There is no registration and no configuration of the network.
Please note that Kuakini’s WiFi software may block access to certain kinds of web sites.